Welcome

Hello and welcome to my little corner of the internet. I intend to use this blog as a showcase for my latest crafting endeavours and to provide detailed reviews of patterns, kits and accessories on the market along with details on where to find everything yourself, should I inspire you to try it out. Please feel free to comment on my posts, provide your own thoughts on the subject, answer questions and even suggest posts.

It has always been my goal to add a post every Wednesday, but due to current circumstances posts may be as scarce as once a month. Appologies and I hope to return to my weekly posting shortly.

Wednesday, 3 December 2014

SAS dog Coat - Part 1

My previous freebie pattern seems to be doing so well that I thought I'd offer up another. This one was sort of comissioned by my mother, she asked me to write her a pattern for a dog coat that she could sell to raise money for the safe and sound charity auction so I thought I'd give it a whirl, Paws could always do with another dog coat.

Now unlike my other dog coat which is availible to buy through ravelry, this one is a lot smaller and thicker and simpler. It's done in Aran yarn with quite a tight tension to make it warm and uses only stocking and garter stitches with a small ammount of decreases for the shaping. It's a very simple pattern, but keep coming back because I also decided that such a simple pattern is the perfect subject for a mini blog series on how to jazz up your knitting and turn that simple, basic pattern into something a bit nicer.

First things first...our pattern:
I used Jarol baby ramber aran and the whole pattern uses less than 1 ball.

You will need:
4mm knitting needles
Aran Yarn
stitch holder
Darning needle
4 buttons
Waste yarn to attach buttons
Tension
4 stitches and 6rows to an inch in stocking stitch
Measurements
Back length = 35cm approx
Girth = 46cm approx
For a longer back length work more than 80 rows before you bind off for the neck. Be sure to measure against your dog as you go.
For a wider Girth, you're best bet is to work more than the 29 rows before the buttonholes. Again measure against your dog.
These changes are only recommended for slight alterations and this will not facilitate you trying to make this coat for an akita.

CO 66
Knit 11 rows
Knit 6, purl 54, knit 6
Repeat last two rows for a grand total of 80 rows
K23 and place on a stitch holder, Bind off 19, k23
Left side
K6, p15, P2tog tbl
SSK, k to end
K6, p13, P2tog tbl
SSK, k to end
K6, p11, P2tog tbl
SSK, k to end
K6, p9, P2tog tbl
SSK, k to end (15 stitches)
K6, p9
K to end
Repeat last two rows for a total of 16 rows
BO
Right side
Transfer stitches from stitch holder with WS facing
P2tog, p15, k6
K to last two stitches, K2tog
P2tog, p13, k6
K to last two stitches, K2tog
P2tog, p11, k6
K to last two stitches, K2tog
P2tog, p9, k6
K to last two stitches, K2tog (15 stitches)
P9, k6
K to end
Repeat last two rows for a total of 16 rows
BO
Pick up and knit 15 stitches from the centre of the left edge of the body
Work 29 rows in Garter Stitch
K4,YO, K2tog, k3, SSK, YO,K4
Work 9 rows in Garter stitch
K4,YO, K2tog, k3, SSK, YO,K4
SSK, K to last 2 stitches, K2tog
Repeat decrease row a total of 4 times
BO

Attach buttons to right side lining up with the button holes and weave in the ends

Part 2

1 comment:

  1. This post solves a lot of my problems. I was thinking to buy dog coat for Joss my lab as he doesn't like to move out of the house during rains and i wasn't sure of buying one for him thinking he might not like it. Many thanks once again :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message and tell me what you think of this post.