Welcome

Hello and welcome to my little corner of the internet. I intend to use this blog as a showcase for my latest crafting endeavours and to provide detailed reviews of patterns, kits and accessories on the market along with details on where to find everything yourself, should I inspire you to try it out. Please feel free to comment on my posts, provide your own thoughts on the subject, answer questions and even suggest posts.

It has always been my goal to add a post every Wednesday, but due to current circumstances posts may be as scarce as once a month. Appologies and I hope to return to my weekly posting shortly.

Wednesday, 10 December 2014

SAS Dog coat Part 2 - Santa Paws

Welcome to part 2 of my SAS dog coat pattern, and while this entry isn't exactly a free pattern, it does transform the coat from the plain garment at the end of the last post into something very different, and it's very easy to do. What is it? It's the basic crochet edging.

Now I know a lot of knitters shy away from the word crochet, and why wouldn't you? It's so very different to knitting, and then there's the fact that different meanings are assigned to the same words depending on which country you're in. But this is very basic and we can really dumb down the instructions on it too! So if this is your first time, give me your hand, I'm going to hold it all the way through.

So what I've done is I've got a 4mm crochet hook (the size isn't exactly vital to this part of the project, if you only have a 4.5 that's fine too, you just want it to be something similar to the needles you used for the knitting) and some very cuddley fluffy white yarn. The chunkier the better, Mine's King Coles Cuddles in chunky. So to start we simply make a slip knot, same as for knitting and place that on the hook as our first stitch. Then we're just going to DC (double Crochet) along the edge of the knitting.



Ready for that hand holding?
With your slip knot over your hook, slide the hook through the edge of your knitting (so you have your white slip knot followed by your red knitted stitch) and simply drape your white yarn over the top of your hook and pull it back through your knitting.
You now have two white stitches on your hook. So we're going to drape your white yarn over your hook again and pull that through the two stitches already on your hook leaving you with just one stitch again.
Then repeat. All along the edge. It is literally that easy. When you get to the end, just finish as you would at the end of a bind off in knitting. Cut the yarn and pull it through the live stitch.





Now I've taken inspiration from the season and the seasonal nickname with give Paws the dog every year (Santa Paws) but you could take it in a whole different direction, and not just with the SAS dog coat, but any knitted garment.

Another direction you could take this in is if your knitted piece features two colours. Take the secondary colour and work the edge in that, use a single crochet stitch for a narrow edging or a triple for a thicker edging. This is a washcloth I made for a little girl, the edging it done in the secondary colour and in a triple crochet. You could even get adventurous and find different stitches such as a shell stitch and make the edging even more decorative! The options are endless and infinately lovely! I hope this inspires you to break from the pattern a little and have a go at putting your own mark on your knitting.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Bringing home a new dog, whether it’s a puppy or an adult, is like bringing home a new baby – you need to be prepared, and you need supplies. So, I was looking for articles on buying clothes for dog online and then I came across yours inspiring read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message and tell me what you think of this post.